When I was young in ministry, I used to pray Psalm 27:4 which says, “One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.”
I had no idea He would take me so literally. Since coming to Christ more than three decades ago, I’ve spent most of that time serving in churches and ministries, mostly in worship ministry.
One thing I’ve noticed during that time is that often, even the most devout Christians, for one reason or the other, fall away from attending worship services or small group meetings on a regular basis.
So, in response, here’s my list of ten reasons why people should go to church:
1. Christian Fellowship goes two ways: with God and with others. (1 John 1:3)
2. It’s one of the greatest habits (Hebrews 10:25)
3. For the opportunity to use your spiritual gifts to help others. (1 Peter 4:10)
4. Accountability. (Hebrews 13:17)
5. There are no self-sufficient Christians. (1 Corinthians 12:21)
6. To make a joyful noise unto the Lord! (Psalm 100)
7. To “devote yourself to the apostles teaching, to the breaking of bread, and to prayer.” (Acts 2:42)
8. To pray for others and to be prayed for (Matthew 18:19)
9. To express your love for God publicly (Psalm 22:22)
10. It’s what Jesus did (Luke 14:6)
There are possibly hundreds of other reasons to attend worship services and small group meetings. Any that come to your mind today? If so, leave a comment below.
P.S. If you have fallen away from church, Easter is a great time to come back. If you live in or around New Orleans, South Baton Rouge, or even if you live in Turrialba, Costa Rica, let me officially invite you to join us at Celebration Church. This year, we have 58 services across all of our campuses. Check it out at http://www.celebrationchurch.org/easter.
*photo courtesy of Unsplash